Hi Niviya,

On 10-04-16 04:18 AM, niviya vijayan wrote:
Hi ,
I have a query regarding the interface initialization process for an ipv6 enabled interface. As per the RFC4861, the node has to join
a.       All-node multicast address{FE02::1}

b. Solicited multicast address {FF02::1:ff00:<last 24 bits of ipaddress>}

I have tried capturing packets for one of the switch while configuring an ipv6 address. I could see IPv6 node (Ipv6 address) joining ‘All node multicast address’ and ‘Solicited multicast address’. Apart from that I am seeing an extra join request from the Link Local address to the ‘All node multicast address’. Any specific reason for this? Is this a correct behaviour ?or is there any requirement for joining link local address on the all node multicast node while creating an ipv6 address on the interface? why it is required? if it is required, then this message will repeat for each & every ipv6 address created on an interface since it has only one link-local address.

It is very strange that you see a join for the all nodes multicast address. Nodes don't have to send a MLD join for the link-local all-nodes multicast address and I have never seen an implementation that does this. What I would expect is 2 MLD (listener report) joins

1) MLD join for the solicited node multicast address from the unspecified address (to test for the uniqueness of the tentative link-local address). 2) MLD join for the solicited node multicast address from the link-local address.

Cheers
Suresh