Hi Suresh,

RFC 4861 Statement:- 7.2.1.Interface Initialization

“When a multicast-capable interface becomes enabled, the node MUST join the
all-nodes multicast address on that interface, as well as the solicited-
 node multicast address corresponding to each of the IP addresses assigned
to the interface.”
*Any idea What does this statement mean?*

For the second query:-

I didnt change the MAC address of the card. I tried creating a new ipv6
address on the interface and I have seen these two unsolicited NA
messages.My question is , Why the node is sending unsolicited NA message (
with source as "link-local address" & destination as "all-node multicast
address").I am expecting only one unsolicited NA message( with source as
"ipv6 global address" & destination as "all-node multicast address").  I am
not at all changing the link-local address and the link-local address is
already active on the interface.

Regards,
Niviya

On Wed, Apr 21, 2010 at 4:22 AM, Suresh Krishnan <
suresh.krish...@ericsson.com> wrote:

> Hi Niviya,
>

> On 10-04-20 05:09 AM, niviya vijayan wrote:
>
>> Hi Suresh,
>>  Thanks for your reply. I have a doubt on your answer.
>>  As per your comments, there can be two MLD report msg which will join the
>> node in solicited multicast group . But in the RFC 4861, they have mention
>> there should be a join request to all node multicast group.
>>

> As described in section 6 of RFC3810 MLD reports are not sent for the
> all-nodes multicast address
>
> "  The link-scope all-nodes multicast address, (FF02::1), is handled as
>   a special case.  On all nodes -- that is all hosts and routers,
>   including multicast routers -- listening to packets destined to the
>   all-nodes multicast address, from all sources, is permanently enabled
>   on all interfaces on which multicast listening is supported.  No MLD
>   messages are ever sent regarding neither the link-scope all-nodes
>   multicast address, nor any multicast address of scope 0 (reserved) or
>   1 (node-local)."
>

> .
>>
>> RFC 4861 Statement:- 7.2.1.Interface Initialization
>>
>> “When a multicast-capable interface becomes enabled, the node MUST join
>> the all-nodes multicast address on that interface, as well as the solicited-
>>    node multicast address corresponding to each of the IP addresses assigned
>> to the interface.”
>>
>>   I have one more query  regarding NA messages.
>>  While creating ipv6 address on an interface, unsolicited NA messages will
>> be sent to all node multicast address to inform all other nodes in the
>> network. When i tried this scenario , I have seen two NA messages.
>>  1) source as ipv6 address and destination as ipv6 all node address.
>> 2) source as link-local address and destination as ipv6 all node address.
>>  My question is, whenever there is a change in ipv6 address on a node,
>> both these 2 NA messages will propogate through the network?
>> or is it really required to share about the link-local address as we are
>> not at all changing the ipv6 link-local address.?
>>

> It is unclear what the circumstances are. Specifically, what action did you
> perform that resulted in these messages? Did you change the MAC address of
> the card?

Hi Suresh,