Hi Niviya,

On 10-04-20 05:09 AM, niviya vijayan wrote:
Hi Suresh,
Thanks for your reply. I have a doubt on your answer. As per your comments, there can be two MLD report msg which will join the node in solicited multicast group . But in the RFC 4861, they have mention there should be a join request to all node multicast group.

As described in section 6 of RFC3810 MLD reports are not sent for the all-nodes multicast address

"  The link-scope all-nodes multicast address, (FF02::1), is handled as
   a special case.  On all nodes -- that is all hosts and routers,
   including multicast routers -- listening to packets destined to the
   all-nodes multicast address, from all sources, is permanently enabled
   on all interfaces on which multicast listening is supported.  No MLD
   messages are ever sent regarding neither the link-scope all-nodes
   multicast address, nor any multicast address of scope 0 (reserved) or
   1 (node-local)."

.
RFC 4861 Statement:- 7.2.1.Interface Initialization

“When a multicast-capable interface becomes enabled, the node MUST join the all-nodes multicast address on that interface, as well as the solicited- node multicast address corresponding to each of the IP addresses assigned to the interface.”

I have one more query regarding NA messages. While creating ipv6 address on an interface, unsolicited NA messages will be sent to all node multicast address to inform all other nodes in the network. When i tried this scenario , I have seen two NA messages. 1) source as ipv6 address and destination as ipv6 all node address.
2) source as link-local address and destination as ipv6 all node address.
My question is, whenever there is a change in ipv6 address on a node, both these 2 NA messages will propogate through the network? or is it really required to share about the link-local address as we are not at all changing the ipv6 link-local address.?

It is unclear what the circumstances are. Specifically, what action did you perform that resulted in these messages? Did you change the MAC address of the card?

Cheers
Suresh