Hi,

On Aug 3, 2010, at 02:53 MDT, Rémi Després wrote:
What about this combination (not documented yet, it seems)
- Hosts that send non 0 FLs, MUST do it with a value that:
. is common to all packets of their flow
. generally is different from one flow to another
- non 0 FLs MUST be preserved e2e.
- 0 FLs may be changed anywhere, but with the same constraints as in hosts.

Earlier I suggested that a modified "0 FL" should be reset back to zero at the egress of the network that modified it. Someone said this is impossible, which I don't believe at all. However, all I really care about is that "0 FL" should be mutable and others shouldn't. Whether it is or should be reset on egress doesn't matter to me.

In addition,
- A flow is specified by its 5-tuple, if it exists, or its 3-tuple otherwise.
- The FL value assigned to a flow MAY be EITHER:
. a hash of the flow identification (simple because stateless), OR
. a pseudo random number (more complex because stateful, but providing an
utmost privacy protection
The choice between hash or randomness is made where the FL is set. Other nodes
don't need to know what has been chosen.