Aleksi,

On Aug 3, 2010, at 16:25 MDT, Aleksi Suhonen wrote:
>> On Aug 3, 2010, at 02:53 MDT, Rémi Després wrote:
>>> What about this combination (not documented yet, it seems)
>>> - Hosts that send non 0 FLs, MUST do it with a value that:
>>> . is common to all packets of their flow
>>> . generally is different from one flow to another
>>> - non 0 FLs MUST be preserved e2e.
>>> - 0 FLs may be changed anywhere, but with the same constraints as in hosts.
>
> Earlier I suggested that a modified "0 FL" should be reset back to zero at
> the egress of the network that modified it. Someone said this is impossible,
> which I don't believe at all. However, all I really care about is that "0 FL"
> should be mutable and others shouldn't. Whether it is or should be reset on
> egress doesn't matter to me.

I believe I made the point during the 6MAN meeting that while it's technically
possible to change the flow-label back to 0 upon exit of a "flow-label domain",
it's likely to be operationally challenging to do so.  IOW, SP's would have to
ensure systems/processes are in place to properly configure each of their
interfaces appropriately (i.e.: reset the FL to 0 at exit).  Likewise, if my
network is downstream from yours ... I have to trust that you've properly
configured your interfaces and that your router SW/HW is working properly so
that I will always receive a 0 in the FL.  That's asking a lot, IMHO.  :-/

So, while I wouldn't call that "impossible", I would say it's highly unlikely,
particularly in [very] large networks.  Of course, that's just my opinion and
YMMV.

>>> In addition,
>>> - A flow is specified by its 5-tuple, if it exists, or its 3-tuple
>>> otherwise.
>>> - The FL value assigned to a flow MAY be EITHER:
>>> . a hash of the flow identification (simple because stateless), OR
>>> . a pseudo random number (more complex because stateful, but providing an
>>> utmost privacy protection
>>> The choice between hash or randomness is made where the FL is set. Other
>>> nodes don't need to know what has been chosen.
>
> On 08/03/10 17:20, Shane Amante wrote:
>> Because of your last two bullets I have to ask the following.  How would a
>> receiving host deterministically distinguish (1) flow-labels that were
>> created by network devices (just a 5-tuple was put into a flow-label) vs.
>> (2) flow-labels that were created by a source-host w/ a pseudo-random number
>> + 5-tuple[1]?  (Please read on before answering :-)
>
> Why does a receiving host care about the flow label at all? It exists to make
> sure that all intermediate nodes give correct treatment to the flow, but once
> it reaches its destination it's "safe", right?

It depends on your worldview.  I think Brian Carpenter (?) may have said it
best in a private e-mail -- let me paraphrase (and, Brian, please correct me if
I'm wrong).  The flow-label can belong either to the network -or- to the
host(s): pick one[1].

If you believe the flow-label belongs to the network, then you're statement
above is correct ... hosts must ignore (or, not care about) the received
flow-label.

OTOH, if you believe the flow-label belongs to hosts and you potentially want
to enable applications like draft-blake-ipv6-flow-label-nonce-02, which could
prevent off-path attacks, then you (likely) can't have routers messing around
with the flow-label.  Routers may read a flow-label, but they can't attempt to
change it.

-shane

[1] If you put aside the debate about whether or not locally-defined
flow-labels are a good idea, this is likely what the choice about what to do
with the flow-label field boils down to: it's either a field that belongs to
the network or a field that belongs to the hosts.  Once that is decided,
legitimate uses of the flow-label (including, potentially, locally-defined
flow-labels) likely fall out from that.