Jared,

> Please explain how ll would solve the problem first. Maybe the bcp38+1918
> thread on nanog on recent days would be instructive.

which problem? there are several.
with regards to the NANOG reference, I don't quite see the similarity. I
haven't seen any implementation sourcing packets with a link-local source and
these getting anywhere.

what I suggested was just to do one of:
1) link-locals only. ICMPs, traceroute etc take a suitably scoped source
address from e.g a loopback or some other interface.
2) link-locals plus a global /128 if one wants per interface addresses for
ICMPs etc.

BGP peerings and what not could use link-local addresses. e.g:

router A --------------  router B
fe80::1                        fe80::2
dead:beef::1/128     c001:cafe::2/128

no shared subnet between A and B apart from fe80::/10.

cheers,
Ole