On Mon, 23 Aug 2010 17:19:03 -0500
"Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfr...@boeing.com> wrote:

> Mark Smith:
>
> > Well, GPS was only one of the examples I used, and I was envisioning
> > one that is built into the dash. To continue with the
> > analogy, how many
> > people would buy and install after-market electric windows, anti-lock
> > brakes, electronic fuel injection etc.?
>
> Analogies work both ways. In the '50s, a "great idea" was the helicopter
> parked in everyone's driveway. Or at the very least, nuclear powered cars.
> Yet here we are today, still driving on four wheels and four pneumatic tires,
> with internal combustion engines.

All the technologies I listed both exist today and are common in cars
that are designed today. Those technologies didn't exist in the 1970s,
or if they did, were probably so prohibitively expensive that they
either weren't even considered for cars or weren't affordable to put
into cars. If you were to design a car today, would you limit it's
design to incorporating technologies that were available 30 years ago?

Possibly it will be surprising to a number of people on this list, but
some of the ideas in IPv6 are over 30 years old, such as single, fixed
size network and node portions, and using link layer addresses as layer
3 node addresses -

"Address Mappings", Jonathan B. Postel, 2 May 1979
http://www.ietf.org/rfc/ien/ien91.txt