On Wed, 25 Aug 2010 00:55:34 -0400
Christopher Morrow <christopher.mor...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Aug 23, 2010 at 5:38 PM, Mark Smith
> <i...@69706e6720323030352d30312d31340a.nosense.org> wrote:
> > On Mon, 23 Aug 2010 17:23:09 -0400
> > Jared Mauch <ja...@puck.nether.net> wrote:

> >> You may put a /64 on your /127 links in addition, but most people only put
> >> one IP subnet on a link, otherwise they might want redirects ;)
> >>

> > I meant reserving a /64 for the link and then configuring a /127 prefix
> > length on it. If my concerns about /64s were resolved, all I'd need to
> > do would be change the prefix length back to a /64.
>
> this means you're already doing what the draft is asking to codify?

No I'm not.

If somebody was to ask me what my advice was I'd recommend /64s for all
links. I'd also point out the issue that /127s is trying to mitigate.
I'd point out that I think there are feasible solutions that properly
address this issue for all link types. I'd then recommend that if they
want to use /127s, they reserve a /64 for those links, so that if and
when those solutions become available, they can merely change the
prefix length back to /64.

> So, in short you support the idea of the draft you just have some
> reservations about it covering all the bases you feel are important.

What I'm against is unnecessary complexity, because, to quote
"anonymous" on slashdot, "complex = more things that can
break". Variable length interface identifiers, if they're unnecessary,
only create more complexity and therefore more things that can break.
If the interface identifier is universally the same size, then it'd be
pretty hard for people to get the size wrong.

The other thing that complexity creates is more choice. Technical
people like choice. The problem with too much choice, however, is
choice paralysis. If there are too many choices, it can become too risky
to make one. With too much choice, it may not be possible to adequately
weigh up the positive and negative consequences of all of the
choices, and in particular the consequences of making a wrong choice.
So not making a choice becomes less risky than making the wrong one.

So, if we have /64s everywhere, and have them not vulnerable to issues
that /127s mitigates (but only on point-to-point links), then I
think /127s are unnecessary. That's one less unnecessary complexity.

> >> Operationally the vendors may be violating some RFC, so lets publish what
> >> is
> >> relevant and working today so we can all move on?  We can deal with
> >> any additional updates and items with "how IPv6" works elsewhere or in a
> >> new document so we can move /127 on p2p links along?
> >>

> > So that leaves the problem still existing on network edge LANs and
> > virtual P2P links between customer aggregation routers and CPE, of
> > which there'l be millions. Maybe you, Steinar and Randy don't
> > have to worry about those types of links, but others of us do.
>
> are cable/dsl providers going to provision each p2p link to the end
> customer with a /64?

It's likely to be the common model. It's the simplest and most widely
available option because it uses no more than the basic IPv6 RA/PIO
mechanism and SLAAC, and therefore would be a baseline functionality
expectation in both CPE and customer aggregation routers.

> won't that just be 2 off-link /128's (today I see
> mostly 2 off-link /32's I think?) and PD to send down the prefix the
> operator decides is appropriate for in-home use?
>
> If so, the /127 discussion isn't involved here, I think.
>
> > A complete solution would solve the problem for all link types, not
> > just mitigate it for point-to-point links in the backbone.
>
> I think the only thing that's being addressed in this one draft is
> codifying what's happening in practice today. So that vendors don't
> accidentally 'fix' the 'bug' that permits /127's to work just fine.
> since you stated earlier you already do this,

No I don't use them, as mentioned earlier.