Hi, Steven,

> I don't think your conclusion follows.  One thing you want for LAG/ECMP is
> for each flow from a given <src_addr, dst_addr> to have a unique FL value.
> Fernando's algorithm achieves this by incrementing counter for each new
> flow from that address pair.
>
> With that said, I don't think this algorithm is necessarily ideal.  The FL
> value for any two flows from a <src_addr, dst_addr> pair may only vary by a
> few bits, so if a switch/router uses a poor hash algorithm for LAG/ECMP,
> you may not get a good load spread.

I think that in this case both the hash algorithm used for generating
the Flow Label and the hash algorithm used at the router would need to
be be "poor".

Nevertheless, if the hash algorithm at the router is poor, you're dead
anyway. Because different hosts could use different algorithms for
generating the Flow Label which on the aggregate could result in Flow
Label values that differ in only a few bits.

Unless I'm missing something....

Thanks!

Kind regards,
--