Steven Blake wrote:

> draft-gont-6man-flowlabel-security assumes that you keep track of every
> allocated <src_addr, dst_addr, FL> tuple (the "if(three-tuple is unique)
> return flowlabel;" pseudo-code).  If you are going to the trouble of
> doing this, there is really no reason not to just use a good PRNG to
> generate the FL value, and retry upon a 3-tuple collision.

I checked the algorithm. The "if(three-tuple is unique)
 return flowlabel" thing is there to check that the corresponding
three-tuple is not *currently* in use. -- this is to avoid the case in
which a particular flow lives for such a long period of time that the
flow-lavel sequence for that pair (src addr, dst addr) wraps while that
flow is still alive (and hence there are chances of collisions).

Two comments:
* Consider this a refinement
* The difference between this algorithm (even if it includes the
aforementioned "if()") and the simple PRNG approach is that with the
simple PRNG you could end up selecting a flow label that is not
*curretly* in use, but thatwas in use less than 120 seconds ago -- thus
violating the spec.

Thanks!

Kind regards,
--