I should have said that I supported the clarification/revision to canonical format in RFC 5952, as it was discussed and accepted by the working group. I accept that you are proposing revising RFC 5952 to allow both upper and lower case, but feel that an errata report is not sufficient to do that. The RFC states what it states, and to change that (probably) requires another RFC. Implementers recognize RFCs as normative, not necessarily errata; the only thing that changes a published RFC is another RFC that explicitly obsoletes it.

Your appeal to precedent in that list of RFCs is a compelling argument against forbidding upper case. I was not trying to quash discussion on this, it certain bears further discussion.