Although the comments about "lazy" are specious, I support requiring uppercase
display simply from the viewpoint of easy recognition by those of us with
less-than-perfect visual acuity. There probably is no other strong reason
except apparent consistency of display which, in itself, is a good thing.

On Dec 2, 2010, at 4:17 PM, RFC Errata System wrote:

> The following errata report has been submitted for RFC5952,
> "A Recommendation for IPv6 Address Text Representation".
>
> --------------------------------------
> You may review the report below and at:
> http://www.rfc-editor.org/errata_search.php?rfc=5952&eid=2656
>
> --------------------------------------
> Type: Technical
> Reported by: D. Stussy <d.stu...@yahoo.com>
>
> Section: 4.3
>
> Original Text
> -------------
> 4.3.  Lowercase
>
>   The characters "a", "b", "c", "d", "e", and "f" in an IPv6 address
>   MUST be represented in lowercase.
>

> Corrected Text
> --------------
> 4.3.  Case of Alphabetic Digits.
>
>   The digits "A" through "F" in an IPv6 address
>   MUST be represented in upper case.  User and user
>   derived input may be represented using lower case.
>

> Notes
> -----
> Historically from the 1960's, hexidecimal digits other than decimal digits
> are represented by upper case letters.  Lower case letters may have become
> acceptable as user input, but such resulted from lazy programmers who
> couldn't manage to hit the shift key on their keyboards.  However, lower case
> is not acceptable for digit output.  Many early assemblers would not even
> accept lower case as valid input digits except where the radix base exceeded
> 36 (thus exhausting all upper case values).  This poor programming practice
> should not be allowed to be codified into any Internet standard.
>
> <SNIP/>

Although the comments about "lazy" are specious, I support requiring uppercase
display simply from the viewpoint of easy recognition by those of us with
less-than-perfect visual acuity.

There probably is no other strong reason for requiring either case except
apparent consistency of display which, in itself, is a good thing.

James R. Cutler
james.cut...@consultant.com