There is no way this is an erratum. There was a clear choice in the WG
to standardise on lower case.

There could be no objection to a presentation-layer choice to display upper
case in a GUI as a matter of user preference. However, I was surprised by
the suggestion that upper case is better for people with limited visual
acuity. My eyes are well past their use-by date and I haven't found this
to be an issue. There is evidence for upper case being better *for a
given font size*:
Therefore, another GUI option could be to use a bigger font size.

In any case I would object to this erratum being accepted.

Regards
   Brian Carpenter

P.S.

> Many other pre-1990 computer science and engineering books show hexidecimal
> non-decimal digits as upper case only

I would like to report an erratum in that sentence: s/hexidecimal/hexadecimal/

More seriously, many computers in the early days only knew how to print
upper case; hence there was a strong bias against lower case in both software
and documentation. It's no surprise that the ancient scrolls use upper case.
However, I have a copy of "Electronic Digital Computers" by Charles V.L Smith
(of the Aberdeen Proving Ground), published in 1959 by McGraw-Hill, which
on page 4 refers to "sexadecimal" notation (you gotta love that) in which
"the first six lower-case letters of the alphabet a, b, c, d, e, and f,
may conveniently be used." I think that trumps the references below in
terms of age.