I concur with support for the decision in RFC 5952 to establish a canonical format for IPv6 addresses. The choice of lower-case was deliberate and subject to review and consensus within the working group, and should not be construed as an "erratum". Opinions and implementations may vary. "Harm" in non-conformance is minor, resulting in more complex processing of textual output as input to another system. The canonical format was intended to to make such textual output from various implementations to be comparable, for merging and sorting in reports, etc. Personally, I would code defensively (liberal in what I accept from other systems) while respecting the canonical format for my output (conservative in what I do) [RFC793].