Brian E Carpenter <brian.e.carpen...@gmail.com> writes:

> I'm confused. We've been talking for months about recommending
> pseudo-random flow label values as inputs to hash functions,
> precisely to allow scaleable and stateless load balancing and ECMP.

I have a general issue with the above, but I'm not sure whether its a
real issue or just terminology.

The crux of the issue is the following:

>    1.  It is RECOMMENDED that source hosts support the flow label by
>        setting the flow label field for all packets of a flow to the
>        same pseudo-random value.

I do not see a reason to require this.

The goal of using the Flow Label with load balancing is to include it
as input to the hash in order to produce a more uniform spread of the
output of the hash, and specifically, so different flows from the same
machine can be sent across different links.

You do NOT need uniform spread on the input to the hash to get such an
output. A decent hash algorithm is what you need. You also don't need
Flow Labels selected in a psuedo random fashion.

RFC 3697 says specifically you can assign Flow Label values
sequentially. And that works just fine with the modulo(N) algorithm
specified in the ECMP document.

Note that I am in favor of suggesting that the Flow Label be included
in the hash when doing load balancing. Its a no brainer. At worst, its
a now op. But it certainly is never better to exclude it.

What I don't think is needed, is *any* requirement for
pseudo-randomness on the actual Flow Label values.

Thomas