Lucy, Brian,

On Jan 11, 2011, at 08:41 MST, Yong Lucy wrote:
>> In fact no solution works well for short flows and the problem isn't
>> important
>> for long flows with few packets. So I think it's OK to discuss a solution
>> that works for long flows with many packets, since that covers most
>> of the load.
>
> [LY] Hash works well for short flows. That was developed when Internet is
> primarily used for data transport. As more and more video data on Internet,
> traffic become mixed with long flows with many packets and short flow with
> few packets. Hash no longer works well in this traffic pattern.

Let's be careful here and not cause a panic.  :-)

In reality, hash works quite well for the bulk of Video traffic currently being
distributed over the public Internet, specifically in the form of streaming TV
or movies such as Youtube, Hulu, Netflix, iTunes, etc. where individual
streams/flows tend to be on the order of a few Mbps -- obviously because
individual streams need to fit on "small" access circuits (relative to the size
of Backbone links) to subscriber's homes that are primarily using either DSL or
Cable (DOCSIS) -- at least from the PoV of here in North America.

It's probably better to say that a hash algorithm works well where individual,
long-lived flows (regardless of traffic type) are a small-ish fraction of the
physical BW of any individual component-link in a LAG or ECMP group.  It's when
those long-lived flows are a substantial portion of component-link's physical
BW that a hash algorithm is ineffective and you either need higher capacity
component-links or more "creative" techniques.

>>> [LY] the server load balance and the network path load balance have
>>> different criteria.
>>
>> Very true. It isn't clear to me that balancing the network load
>> without knowledge of the server load is a good idea.

Brian: It is from the perspective that it's stateless, which is a very
desirable property when you're talking about Core/Edge devices with millions or
billions of flows ...

-shane