On Jan 11, 2011, at 9:10 AM, Shane Amante wrote:

> It's probably better to say that a hash algorithm works well where
> individual, long-lived flows (regardless of traffic type) are a small-ish
> fraction of the physical BW of any individual component-link in a LAG or ECMP
> group.  It's when those long-lived flows are a substantial portion of
> component-link's physical BW that a hash algorithm is ineffective and you
> either need higher capacity component-links or more "creative" techniques.

Statistics we're seeing suggest that long-lived video flows (video-on-demand,
streaming media, netflix/youtube/etc) are becoming a fairly large subset of
internet traffic. You may have seen Wired's article on it
(http://www.wired.com/magazine/2010/08/ff_webrip/all/1) and the
far-better-thought-through rebuttal
(http://boingboing.net/2010/08/17/is-the-web-really-de.html).