Thomas,

>>> Can someone explain to me the rationale for mandating 4191 in 6204?
>>> What was the scenario that was envisioned that necessitates 4191?
>
>> it was the only way we found to keep support for ULA prefixes.  the
>> scenario is if you have a home CPE with ULA enabled, but no upstream
>> IPv6 connectivity.  if that router advertises itself as a router for
>> default, as opposed to router for ULA, host implementations that
>> don't do 3484bis, and don't handle ICMPs, will contribute to IPv6
>> breakage. e.g. 75 second time outs per TCP connection.
>
> Seems to me, the real issue is the following (from RFC 6204):
>
>   G-4:  By default, an IPv6 CE router that has no default router(s) on
>         its WAN interface MUST NOT advertise itself as an IPv6 default
>         router on its LAN interfaces.  That is, the "Router Lifetime"
>         field is set to zero in all Router Advertisement messages it
>         originates [RFC4861].
>
>   G-5:  By default, if the IPv6 CE router is an advertising router and
>         loses its IPv6 default router(s) on the WAN interface, it MUST
>         explicitly invalidate itself as an IPv6 default router on each
>         of its advertising interfaces by immediately transmitting one
>         or more Router Advertisement messages with the "Router
>         Lifetime" field set to zero [RFC4861].
>
> That is, a CPE router with multiple LAN interfaces is not allowed to
> advertise itself as a default router (when it loses internet
> connectivity), when that is arguably a fine thing for it to do.
>
> I have to wonder whether RFC 6204 has gotten this wrong. It is very
> CPE centric, assuming it is the only router on the home network. It
> has conflated the notion of a router being fine as a default router
> for the hosts attached to the same link (i.e., via RAs) and the the
> more traditional router notion of default route.
>
> I.e., if the CPE router has multiple LAN interfaces, each with a ULA
> (or other prefix) assigned to it, advertising itself as a default
> router seems like a perfectly reasonable thing to do.

indeed, but unfortunately that causes IPv6 breakage. this is not at all CPE
centric, from the CPE perspective advertising itself as a default router is
obviously not an issue. the problem is host implementations that have a ULA
address and a default route (but no connectivity to the IPv6 Internet). these
hosts will choose IPv6 first when connecting to dual-stack destinations, this
leads to multi-minute time outs.

we had some very extensive discussions on this exact point during the last call
of RFC6104.
I hope we do not have to rehash those here.

cheers,
Ole