Hi Thomas,

On Wed, 11 May 2011 17:12:55 -0400
Thomas Narten <nar...@us.ibm.com> wrote:

> Ole Troan <otr...@employees.org> writes:
> > > That is, a CPE router with multiple LAN interfaces is not allowed to
> > > advertise itself as a default router (when it loses internet
> > > connectivity), when that is arguably a fine thing for it to do.
> > >
> > > I have to wonder whether RFC 6204 has gotten this wrong. It is very
> > > CPE centric, assuming it is the only router on the home network. It
> > > has conflated the notion of a router being fine as a default router
> > > for the hosts attached to the same link (i.e., via RAs) and the the
> > > more traditional router notion of default route.
> > >
> > > I.e., if the CPE router has multiple LAN interfaces, each with a ULA
> > > (or other prefix) assigned to it, advertising itself as a default
> > > router seems like a perfectly reasonable thing to do.
>
> > indeed, but unfortunately that causes IPv6 breakage. this is not at
> >  all CPE centric, from the CPE perspective advertising itself as a
> >  default router is obviously not an issue. the problem is host
> >  implementations that have a ULA address and a default route (but no
> >  connectivity to the IPv6 Internet). these hosts will choose IPv6
> >  first when connecting to dual-stack destinations, this leads to
> >  multi-minute time outs.
>
> Let me be sure I understand. Which 3484 rule comes into play that has
> an impact here? Is it:
>
>    Rule 1:  Avoid unusable destinations.
>    If DB is known to be unreachable or if Source(DB) is undefined, then
>    prefer DA.  Similarly, if DA is known to be unreachable or if
>    Source(DA) is undefined, then prefer DB.
>
> I.e., if trying to reach a site, and the IPv6 address is "unreachable"
> per above, choose the v4 address? (Sounds great in theory!). So the
> CPE rule that says you MUST NOT advertise yourself as a default router
> if you don't have real IPv6 connectivity is intended to result in all
> destinations (other than local ones) showing up as  "unreachable" when
> the above rule happens?
>
> Is this the intention, or am I looking at the wrong scenario here?

I think what caught people a bit was a particular CPE which doesn't
generate an ICMPv6 destination unreachable when the default IPv6 route
disappeared or wasn't present (or didn't at the time - this caused my
employer's customers a lot of grief when we started shipping IPv6
enabled by default in them). I tested this scenario with another CPE
that did generate ICMPv6 destination reachables when the default route
disappeared, and found that my end-node immediately reverted to using
IPv4 when both AAAAs and As were available and the AAAA was offsite.

However, as generating ICMPv6 dest unreachables is a SHOULD, not a
MUST, and they can be rate limited, it seems to me that using RA RIOs to
convey local IPv6 topology to end nodes is a more robust way of
trying to ensure local IPv6 reachability across local subnets when the
offsite default route disappears. So I agree with making supporting
them a node requirement.

Regards,
Mark.