On Friday 6th May 2011, Ole Troan wrote in part:
> basically I want the document to say that IETF has standardised
> two mechanisms to configure hosts. one using ND and one using DHCP.
> As they apply to different management models, nodes SHOULD implement both.

On 12th May 2011, Thomas Narten responded in part:
> I personally would support having DHCP be a SHOULD rather than a
> MAY. The justification in my mind is that if you want the network
> operator to have the choice of whether they want to use  Stateless
> addrconf OR DHCP, they only have that choice of devices widely
> implement both.

I share the views above.  One wonders whether others also do.

In some environments, IPv6 actually is NOT deployable unless/until
DHCP for IPv6 is widely supported in IPv6 nodes.

I agree with others here that cable modem deployments (e.g. DOCSIS)
are one example where all node provisioning is handled via DHCP.
A certain FTTH service that I myself use is a second example
where DHCP is the node provisioning method.  Numerous corporate,
enterprise, educational, or government environments provide a
3rd example where DHCP for IPv6 is a pre-requisite for IPv6 deployment.

Yours,

Ran