On Sat, 16 Jul 2011 10:38:45 -0700
Fred Baker <f...@cisco.com> wrote:

> On Jul 15, 2011, at 6:31 AM, RJ Atkinson wrote:
>
> > I apologise for being unclear.  The document I was trying to propose in the
> > quoted text above was NOT about protocol changes, but instead would focus
> > on extant mitigations -- so the document I was proposing would more
> > obviously seem to fit in IPv6 Ops WG.
>
> Sounds reasonable to me.

<snip>

> Where I worry is the concept of a hard limit on address count per MAC
> address, due to the existence of virtual hosts. Speaking as a vendor of the
> equipment we're concerned about here, I would rather provide an option that
> enables the administrator to buy more memory if that's what's needed than
> force him into a situation that might be suboptimal for his network.

The quite novel technique of allocation transient addresses to
applications/processes to assist with firewalling also takes advantage
of IPv6's large address space and that hosts can have multiple
addresses at once. It'd be a shame to loose the opportunity to do that
or similar innovative things with the large IPv6 address space -

"Transient addressing for related processes: Improved firewalling by
using IPv6 and multiple addresses per host", Peter M. Gleitz and Steven
M. Bellovin

https://www.cs.columbia.edu/~smb/papers/tarp.pdf