See below,

On Wed, Sep 21, 2011 at 6:09 PM, Suresh Krishnan
<suresh.krish...@ericsson.com> wrote:
> Hi Jari,
>
> On 11-09-19 02:35 AM, Jari Arkko wrote:
>> Following up with a personal comment.
>>
>> The draft allocates an interface ID and an EUI-64 MAC identifier from the
>> IANA block. These are two separate, unrelated allocations.
>>
>> The main criticism in RFC 5453 for making additional interface ID
>> allocations is that old implementations do not know about them and may
>> collide when making an allocation. I'm wondering if it would be better to
>> allocate an interface ID that is based on the allocated EUI-64 identifier
>> per RFC 2464? Then we would at least use the same format as other interface
>> IDs and a collision would likely mean inappropriate use of the IANA EUI-64
>> identifiers. Note that privacy and cryptographic addresses set the u/l bit
>> to zero, whereas EUI-64 interface IDs usually have it at one. Sri's draft is
>> silent on what kind of number should be allocated for the interface ID,
>> perhaps some guidance here would be useful.
>
> This sounds like a great idea. I am not sure that IANA has a reserved
> EUI-64 block like you suggested, but they certainly have a ethernet
> address block (MAC-48). We can instruct the IANA to assign a MAC address
> that maps straight into the IID. e.g.

The IANA Considerations for the allocation of EUI-48 and EUI-64
addresses are spelled out in RFC 5342. There is no reason for any
special action to "direct" IANA.

Thanks,
Donald
 Donald E. Eastlake 3rd   +1-508-333-2270 (cell)
 155 Beaver Street, Milford, MA 01757 USA
 d3e...@gmail.com