Hi Suresh,

On Thu, Sep 22, 2011 at 6:19 PM, Suresh Krishnan
<suresh.krish...@ericsson.com> wrote:
> Hi Donald,
>
> On 11-09-21 09:54 PM, Donald Eastlake wrote:
>> See below,
>>
>> On Wed, Sep 21, 2011 at 6:09 PM, Suresh Krishnan
>> <suresh.krish...@ericsson.com> wrote:
>>> Hi Jari,

>>> This sounds like a great idea. I am not sure that IANA has a reserved
>>> EUI-64 block like you suggested, but they certainly have a ethernet
>>> address block (MAC-48). We can instruct the IANA to assign a MAC address
>>> that maps straight into the IID. e.g.
>>
>> The IANA Considerations for the allocation of EUI-48 and EUI-64
>> addresses are spelled out in RFC 5342. There is no reason for any
>> special action to "direct" IANA.
>
> Not sure about this. There are two registries in play here. One at
>
> http://www.iana.org/assignments/ethernet-numbers

The registry web page is very messy. One thing I'm supposed to do is
to produce an edited version as a suggestion to IANA. Only a couple of
small parts of that page relate to IANAN EUI assignments.

> and another at
>
> http://www.iana.org/assignments/ipv6-interface-ids/ipv6-interface-ids.xml

The two entries currently in that registry are clearly not derived
from IANA allocated EUIs and, in fact, don't look like they are
constructed from any EUI.

> The first one lists the allocations from the IANA ethernet address block
> for unicast use

It also lists the more extensive allocations under the IANA OUI for
multicast use.

> and the second one lists the IIDs to avoid. Even though
> there is a one to one correlation between a MAC address allocated from
> the IANA block and an IPv6 IID, the second registry is where the
> reserved IIDs are listed (as it is possible to have IIDs that are not
> based on MAC addresses).

It's absurd for these registries to be operated so that they can get
out of sync and so that conflicting uses can be allocated for the same
EUI / derived-IID. The IANA Considerations for these registries should
be updated, if necessary, so that can't happen. I believe that the EUI
registry is, in some vague small sense, more fundamental because you
can do a variety of different things with an EUI, not just create an
IID.

Maybe the IID registry should also be updated to show the ranges of
IIDs automatically available to EUI holders...

Thanks,
Donald
 Donald E. Eastlake 3rd   +1-508-333-2270 (cell)
 155 Beaver Street, Milford, MA 01757 USA
 d3e...@gmail.com