Hi,

On 27.09.2011 18:06, Eric Vyncke (evyncke) wrote:
> At the risk of stating the obvious, ULA does not provide any
> real-world security... They do not have the E-bit set ;-)

Even with the :-), I neither understood nor described
ULAs as a security solution - they only simplify some
filtering rules.

> More seriously, ULA can be routed, so, if a ULA route leaks, then
> your ULA can be reached. Obviously, if your ULA gets a default route,
> then it can send packets to the Internet (information leak/covert
> channel).

That should be avoided/excluded by proper engineering and putting
appropriate filters at the right places. A car will likely get a lot
of different and changing external addresses for Internet connectivity,
e.g., via the built-in UMTS/LTE module, via a connected smartphone, or
even WLAN hotspots... the internal network should never be affected
adversely by external routes or addresses.

> The 'only' advantage of ULA vs. GUA is ease of filtering on a very
> short and well-known prefix.

True, but not the only one. ULAs have the advantage of being usable
even in an autonomous and spontaneous setting, i.e., they can be
generated on demand without any further interaction, which is a
nice feature for autonomous and isolated networks. But you don't
need that in some cases. Using a global unicast address will also
work for most scenarios if appropriate filters are in place. The
question was, whether a ULA-like approach is preferable.

Regards,
 Roland