From: ipv6-boun...@ietf.org [mailto:ipv6-boun...@ietf.org] On Behalf Of Joel M.
Halpern
Sent: Wednesday, September 28, 2011 4:10 PM
To: Roland Bless
Cc: 6man
Subject: Re: Centrally assigned "ULAs" for automotives and other environments

There seem to be a number of assumptions, some of which I suspect I am
misunderstanding, in the case being described.

I tend to make two assumptions:
1) Even low end intra-automotive devices can cope with multiple addresses
2) Even low end automotive-internal devices will need to communicate
externally.

 From what you have described, it seems that all such extenral
communication (whether to another vehicle, to a trusted monitoring
entity, or to the Internet, will have to go through what you describe as
a "proxy" which will deal with changing the IPv6.
Put differently, the only application communication will be via an ALG.

Based on our experience, that seems to be a very bad design target.
And it seems unnecessary for the goal of having stable itnernal
addresses for internal communication.

Yours,
Joel M. Halpern