On 9/28/11 15:25 CDT, Manfredi, Albert E wrote:
I dunno about automotive, but I'm with Roland on the requirement to keep the
internal controls strictly isolated from the Internet in other platforms. Yes,
there is remote condition monitoring going on, but NEVER directly from the
Internet to the internal devices, other than through proxies.

Perhaps the culture will change in time, or perhaps this culture will get even
more strict in this regard. My sense is, the latter is a much more likely
trend. I used to use public IP addresses religiously, for the internal hosts,
but have stopped doing so recently. It seems that a number of people were
relieved by this change. (Who knew?)

Personally, I wouldn't use a proxy. I would use a VPN over the Internet, because it would maintain the end-to-end model. But from a security point of view I believe a proxy and VPN would be more or less equilivant.

So from my perspective, easily recognizable "private" IP addresses are a really
good feature.

+1, ULA of several types serve a number of different purposes, and can be use without damaging the global publicly reachable Internet.

David Farmer               Email:far...@umn.edu
Networking & Telecommunication Services
Office of Information Technology
University of Minnesota
2218 University Ave SE      Phone: 612-626-0815
Minneapolis, MN 55414-3029   Cell: 612-812-9952