On 01/31/2012 08:12 AM, Philip Homburg wrote:
> "Such traffic absolutely occurs in the wild. I have three reasonably
> busy name servers where this is logged as an error from the ipfw code,
> e.g."
>
> Inconclusive. We don't know why that traffic is there.
>
> So, just remove that requirement from RFC-2460, and the problem is gone.

If you're meaning to remove support for some feature from the standard
on the basis that it is not used, then the *you* should prove that is
not being used.

So far, you're arguments have been based on guesswork. People have
reported that this feature is used, and have even provided packets
traces showing that.

I personally believe it is very dangerous to think about removing
something without bothering to consider what might break, and without
bothering whether there's stuff (such as translators) that depend on
that feature.

Fix the bug, and be done with it.

Thanks,
--