Florian,

On 01/27/2012 09:14 AM, Florian Weimer wrote:
>> On 01/27/2012 08:36 AM, Florian Weimer wrote:
>>> And I see no functional difference between the gateway and the host
>>> generating the fragment ID, except that the latter approach seems to
>>> require network-wide software updates currently.
>>
>> Namely, are you saying that Linux won't react to an ICMPv6 PTB<1280 by
>> inserting a Fragment Header in subsequent packets, or what? (last time I
>> checked, I think this was the case)
>
> There are existing deployments which effectively filter ICMPv6 traffic.

They should know better.. what can I say?

> Some of them do so explicitly, others simply to do not broadcast
> incoming IPv6 ICMP traffic to all cluster nodes (or whatever it takes to
> make this work with behind a per-packet load balancer).  Naked host
> behavior does not matter in such scenarios.

How does this make a special case for atomic fragments? If they do this,
they also break PMTUD -- not just the generation of atomic fragments.

> As soon as IPv6 traffic levels increase, all busy UDP sources will stop
> generating atomic fragments reliably because at the time of retry, the
> fact that an atomic fragment is required has expired from the
> destination cache (if there is one in the first place, that is).
> That's why Mark proposes to send atomic fragments unconditionally
> and *that* is known to break stuff for sure.

Regarding Mark's proposal, yes, some stacks need to patch their bugs
(this was required by RFC 2460, not by a brand new RFC).

>> In any, please note the difference between *accepting* atomic fragments,
>> generating ICMPv6 PTB when the MTU of the constricting link is < 1280,
>> and reacting to ICMPv6 PTB by generating atomic fragments.
>
> True, but why would it be important to accept atomic fragments, when the
> system as a whole does not actually generate them properly?

So that you have only one bug instead of two?

No kidding, as noted a a while ago, you can process atomic fragments as
securely as non-fragmented traffic. So I don't understand why you're
making a big deal. -- This is the sort of thing that, since you can do
the right thing easily with no security implications, you simply do it.

> I'm worried that we're imposing updates on significant parts of the
> network to address an issue that could also be fixed locally,
> maintaining full interoperability with the rest of the network as it
> exists now.

Not sure what you mean by "fixes locally". (That said, the cat is out of
the bag, already -- there's stuff that depends on this).

That said, I wouldn't call this an "update". I'd call this a bug fix...
and you fix many of these, so... what's the big deal?

Thanks,
--
Fernando Gont
SI6 Networks