> we don't have time for all these changes

It's likely that the next question that will come up is:

Should this be published as an informational RFC called "ZigBee's MLE protocol"
because the protocol is no longer really meant to be modified in the process or
should it be pursued as a standards track document?

(Don't get me wrong, I'm all for stability of protocols when there is running
code.
Stability against gratuitous change and Brownian motion, that is.
But not when there are good technical reasons to have the change.
We should be having the discussion on whether that's the case, I think.
And how the encapsulation of MLE works in the first place, something I don't
understand yet.)

Grüße, Carsten