    Thomas> Not sure how fantastic (or not) it is - it is not
    Thomas> immediately clear to me how tied MLE should be to RPL - if
    Thomas> it truly aims at being for _MESH_ link establishment, then
    Thomas> it would appear to be a much larger scope, and should not be
    Thomas> tied narrowly to a special-purpose protocol's type-space (&
    Thomas> conventions etc., that do not apply universally).

Thomas, you will note that:
  1) I suggested it go under IPv6 ICMP first, and if there was such push
     back about allocating a new type, that RPL could allocate a type/code.
  2) ZigBee alliance (the proposal), *IS* using RPL.

I see running it over UDP very architecturally strange.

IETF ROLL WG co-chair.    http://datatracker.ietf.org/wg/roll/charter/