On 19.12.2012 16:58, Brian E Carpenter wrote:
>> Do we really have such a thing "IID types"?
>
> I think that's an important point. If we could make a statement like
>
> "The IID consists of N bits that have no meaning; the only constraint
> is that they must be unique within the scope of a given link and
> routing prefix."
>
> then perhaps we could move forward. Today, the u and g bits are the

Yep.

> This would require formally updating RFC 4291, which says:
>    For all unicast addresses, except those that start with the binary
>    value 000, Interface IDs are required to be 64 bits long and to be
>    constructed in Modified EUI-64 format.
>
> s/required/recommended/ might be enough. Why is it "required" anyway?

Yes, but I guess that we have enough examples where it's not
useful to construct IIDs according to Modified EUI-64 format
(privacy extensions, CGAs and the like).
Indeed, the IID has to unique within a link-local scope, which
is normally ensured by DAD. However, if one uses a globally
unique scheme such as a Modified EUI-64 to derive an IID,
the IID will be unique with very high probability within the
subnet scope. But that's IMHO the whole point and RFC 4291 is maybe
a little bit too restrictive.

Regards,
 Roland