On 08/02/2013 13:38, RJ Atkinson wrote:
> On Friday 8th Feb 2013, Karl Auer wrote, in part:

> In turn, your confusion puzzles me.

Me too. TCP is also an encapsulating header; its contents just don't happen
to be encrypted. The draft's definition of "Entire IPv6 header chain" uses
TCP as an example:

         Note: If there is an upper layer header, only the header (and
         not its payload) are considered part of the "entire IPv6 header
         chain".  For example, if the upper layer protocol is TCP, only
         the TCP header (and not its possible data bytes) should be
         considered part of the "entire IPv6 header chain".

but I don't think it would be any different for ESP.

However, I do see one point that is under-defined right now:

**How many bytes of the transport header+payload are included in this
definition?**

For ESP, is it 8 bytes (SPI + Sequence Number)?

For TCP, is it 8 bytes (ports + Sequence Number)?

etc.

The draft also defines "Extension Headers":
      Any Extension Headers as described in Section 4 of [RFC2460], and
      specified in [RFC2460] or any subsequent documents.

FYI, we have included a complete list of extension headers in
draft-carpenter-6man-ext-transmit, and a related IANA proposal.

   Brian