On 09/02/2013 09:11, Fernando Gont wrote:
> On 02/09/2013 04:57 AM, Brian E Carpenter wrote:
>>> Something that might make sense is to specify something along the lines
>>> of "if the size of the upper layer header is unknown (say, the upper
>>> layer protocol is implemented as a loadable module, in userland, or the
>>> like).
>>>
>>> Thoughts?
>> If you specify a minimum of 8 bytes that would cover most cases, wouldn't it?
>
> Not really. Firewalls look at many fields in the layer-4 headers -- and
> such stuff can be past the first 8 bytes. e.g. OpenBSD PF looks at stuff
> such as the initial TCP window for passive OS fingerprinting, such that
> you can filter based on the OS type. For instance, the ability to look
> at the TCP flags is mandatory for most firewalls.

But the job of this draft is to specify the "on the wire" behaviour of a
sending host. To do that, as far as I can see, you have specify how many
bytes of the transport header MUST be in the first fragment. Does it include
TCP options, for example? At the moment, the draft doesn't tell me what
to put in the code (regardless of where in the host stack this is coded).

    Brian