On 02/08/2013 12:17 PM, RJ Atkinson wrote:
>> **How many bytes of the transport header+payload are included in this
>> definition?**
>>
>> For ESP, is it 8 bytes (SPI + Sequence Number)?
>
> I think that would be OK.  Certainly it MUST NOT be
> more than those 8 bytes, because beyond there lies
> encrypted bits (in the general case).

Quickly skimming through RFC4303, it looks like the first 8 bytes of the
ESP header are referred to as "header" (with the other being referred to
as "payload" and "trailer").. so it looks like ESP wouldn't really be a
"special case".

Should we clarify "how many bytes are included" for ESP, nevertheless?

> I actually believe that the SPI alone would suffice
> for ESP.

It probably would, but.. since the Seq # is part of the header, and it
is also transmitted in plain text, I'd personally deal with ESP as with
the general case "the entire ESP header" (IMO, the fewer the "special
cases", the better).

>> For TCP, is it 8 bytes (ports + Sequence Number)?
>
> My own sense is that Source Port and Destination Port,
> so 32 bits, actually would suffice, but I'll at least
> note one possible counter-argument:
>       A firewall implementation might want to look
>       at the TCP flags to check for invalid flag
>       combinations.

In general, firewalls tend to look at many fields in the upper-layer
header -- so it's useful to have it all.

> I would have no objection to Fernando adding more
> detail for the obvious terminating payloads
> (e.g. UDP, TCP, SCTP, ICMP, ESP) to the draft.
>
> Adding more clarity about this to the I-D could not hurt,
> and might help some implementers.

Something that might make sense is to specify something along the lines
of "if the size of the upper layer header is unknown (say, the upper
layer protocol is implemented as a loadable module, in userland, or the
like).

Thoughts?

Thanks!

Best regards,