On 11  Feb 2013, at 16:42 , Ole Troan wrote:
> what about ESP with NULL encryption?

In the general case, there is no way to reliably (i.e. 100.00%)
know whether a transit ESP packet is using encryption or not.

There are published heuristics that seek to identify ESP
packets that might not be encrypted, but I don't know of
any fully reliable heuristics one might use (see above
for my definition of reliable).

Also, the IETF standardised WESP, but after asking around
and looking, I can't find even one implementation of WESP.
So WESP appears to have either zero deployment or ignorably
low deployment.

Yours,

Ran