BACKGROUND:

After this draft becomes a standard, and implementers have
time to update their code, there seems to be a good chance
that more fragmented packets will be able to traverse
various middleboxes (e.g. firewalls, NATs, whatever else).

Off list feedback indicates that for several middlebox
implementers, it is important that the middlebox is able
to examine the TCP Flags in any first fragment containing
TCP as the terminal payload.  Reportedly, checks for invalid
TCP Flag combinations are considered essential in deciding
whether to allow a packet.  For UDP or ESP, however, the
first 8 bytes is reportedly sufficient.

COMMENT:

Various folks makes a persuasive case that this draft
ought to more explicitly specify, for each terminating
payload type, how many bytes need to be included in the
first fragment.

However, as someone who has worked on more than one IPv6
implementation, I disagree with Brian that adding a case
statement to the existing IPv6 fragmentation code is a
big deal in an IPv6 host implementation.  While one of
those implementations was in an ordinary host, two of
those implementations were in embedded systems, so
I am familiar with the constraints of embedded systems.

In any event, the I-D only needs specify a *minimum*
number of bytes for each terminal payload type that is
to be included in the first fragment.

So, purely for example, if ESP/UDP had a value of 8 bytes
minimum, while TCP had a value of 16 bytes minimum, code
would be compliant EITHER if it had a case statement OR
if it always included at least 16 bytes.

PROPOSAL:

Perhaps Fernando could edit the draft to specify, on a
per terminal payload basis, the minimum number of initial
bytes to include in the first fragment.

Purely for clarity, and one would hope this would be
blatantly obvious already, I'd also suggest adding a
sentence explicitly stating that an implementation MAY
include more bytes than the minimum in its first fragments.

HOPE:

One would hope that after those 2 edits are made, then
this I-D would be ready to begin WG Last Call.

Cheers,

Ran