I first want to thank Dave who took the time to read and comment on my draft
and to discuss the problems associated with it. Based on some offline
discussions with Dave, I have changed this document to better address the
current issues with RFC 4941 which are actually related to differences in
interpretation of the wording used in the that document. In many cases the
wording used gives implementations the choice of how best to accomplish the
goal which can lead to bad choices being made which negates the purpose of
the document. This draft is thus an update to the Privacy Extension document
and also, because it does not allow a node to generate and use an IID based
on a MAC address, an update to one section of RFC 4862 which pertains to
this.

In this document an approach is recommend that doesn't make use MAC
addresses in the generation of public addresses. It does, in fact, endorse
the use other approaches that aren't based on the use of MAC addresses in
the generation of public addresses. Public addresses can be valid forever
but it is recommended that, for privacy purposes, a node not make use of
public addresses.

The definition of public addresses here is the same as what Dave explained
in his last responses to the people on this list, i.e., the addresses that
need to have DNS records. In my opinion, these addresses are more useful for
servers than other nodes.

I appreciate your support and any and all comments that you might proffer.

Thank you,

Best,

Hosnieh