Hosnieh Rafiee wrote:
>>> In corporate environments it is very important that cross-correlation
>>> of log events can occur to support various operational processes (also
>>> over longer periods of time and for examining historical records).
>>> IPv4 did not randomly rotate end node identifiers in an uncorrelated
>>> manner, and the consequences of this new behaviour could be far
> reaching.
>> Well, I think the jury is out on use of 4941 in enterprise environments.
> There
>> are advantages and disadvantages. Accountability is still manageable.
>>
>> But in general I agree with Ray's points.
>>

> If the monitoring is the key role in your network and you have access to the
> inside of your whole network, the question is why you sacrifice your users
> privacy by having the same IID forever in the same network? You can use a
> monitoring system where log the MAC and IP addresses of the pcs. If the IP
> addresses changes, you can still monitor them based on their MAC and log
> this new IP address for this computer for further usage or any new events
> and keep this log for a certain period of time.
>
> Thanks for your comments.
> Regards,
> Hosnieh

I think you greatly underestimate and trivialise the proliferation of
operational processes and systems that use an IP address as a node
identifier and as a key to other data, and that rely on it being largely
time invariant/ stable (at the very least for a decent caching interval
so that it doesn't have to be resolved for every inbound
packet/connection being processed, or for the time that the machine is
switched on). I think that risk is well worth noting in your draft.

You only have to look at something like ~/.ssh/known_hosts, where a flat
file uses an IP address to associate a server with a public key, to see
how widespread this practice is. If you want it to stop this practice 1)
it's going to be a long and painful process 2) you'll probably need to
provide a viable alternative source for node identifiers and/or user
identifiers.

Otherwise if something like my SSH server process decides to time cycle
it's IP address and dynamically update DNS due to a lifetime timing out
1) it is likely that every single long-lived remote SSH session will be
broken at some point,
2) upon reconnection to the new server address registered in DNS, all
users will likely be asked to relearn/reconfirm the trust relationship
with the server.

That trust association can't be trivially repaired for an automatic/cron
process without an alternative trusted source of node identifier.

This is just one of a myriad of examples.

regards,
RayH