On 2013-06-13 13:17, Joe Touch wrote:
[..]
>>> And, for some
>>> options, if the option in question is not supported, the packet should
>>> be dropped -- i.e., you cannot just "ignore the hbh header" (at east in
>>> theory).
>>
>> Why not? Is there any HBH header that is crucial for operation of IPv6?
>
> Current non-experimental ones include:

peeking at
http://www.iana.org/assignments/ipv6-parameters/ipv6-parameters.xml
'act' and noting there are a few protocols that have act != 00 that
might be affected by this.

>     - jumbograms

act = 11 (discard + notify senders, non-multicast)

I am not aware of any medium being able to do even close to 65k (or heck
20k) packets, let alone over it. Is there any gear anywhere in the world
which actually implements/needs this?

Now for boxes that actually have both a Jumbogram capable interface and
a non-jumbogram interface, for those boxes being able to understand and
thus reject this option would make sense indeed.

Anywhere else this option should never be seen. (And if the code does
not know about it, the hardware will likely not get it either).

>     - RPL

act = 01 (discard)

I don't see damage when this packet is ignored though.

"The RPL Option is only for use between RPL routers participating in the
same RPL Instance."

Code that does not know about RPL does not support it and does not
include the instance.

(Generally this looks like one of those 'scary' and 'do not want to see
from another operator on my network' kind of options btw)

Security considerations does not hi-light what problems could happen if
a box just ignores it unfortunately.

>     - router alert

act = 00 (ignore) thus handled by routers that do not do HBH at all.

>     - CALIPSO (informational, but which includes a note about
>     hazards of HBH opts, but claims there was a conclusion
>     that this was still the correct approach)

act = 00 (ignore), thus no issue here.

I btw love the IESG note at the top:

"The IESG notes that general deployment of protocols with hop-by-hop
options are problematic, and the development of such protocols is
consequently discouraged."

and:

"It is unsuitable for use and ineffective on the global public Internet."

> RPL was just approved in 2012.
>
> Even though few of these are 'crucial', why are router vendors still
> creating new standards, and why does the IESG continue to approve them?

Except maybe one day far in the future where Jumbopackets are needed, I
do not see any of these as 'crucial'.

I also do not see a single problem with routers that simply completely
ignore anything but the IP header (thus decrement hop-limit, error+icmp
if needed, forward the packet to the next hop) and do not look at any of
the next headers...

Note that this kind of ignore does allow future HBH options to be
developed and deployed without issues (maybe somebody comes up with a
useful thing). Processing overhead in routers is none, as they just
route, boxes that have more knowledge can handle the options. (which is
I assume also the idea behind the act bits, but it seems they only limit
deployment of something new, not allow it)

I would love to be informed though if anybody knows any situation where
that can be problematic, now or in the future.

Greets,
 Jeroen