On Tue, Jul 16, 2024 at 01:44:50PM +0000, Johan Parin wrote:
That pulled around 2.5K messages. Now I can see on Outlook web my Inbox
has 19077 items. With notmuch I get after 'notmuch new':

 $ notmuch count folder:work/INBOX
 19074

I guess that is close enough.

well, that probably means that three messages were hidden from view
during that sync ...

So now I hope it can stay synced.

.. which means that this has a very low chance of being the case.

Again I will be satisifed with a model
where I never delete anything anywhere. I hope that if I set Expunge to
None mbsync will never delete anything?

it will still mark the messages as deleted, only physical deletion is
left to something else.
if you don't want to pull deletions, then you need to omit them from the
"Sync" set. but then ...

The only destructive operation I do is sometimes I archive parts of my
Inbox. [...]

.. this won't work.

there is no way to get it working as long as the imap server is
incapable of reliably telling which messages are actually in the
mailbox.

you can observe the network traffic with -Dn, but in all likelihood this
will just tell you that indeed the imap server is omitting some messages
from the FETCH results, without due cause.