> Have you tried it with a different printer - or a different
> computer?

It has been printed from two machines onto two printers each.  It might be
worth noting that they're both HP printers, one an inkjet, one a laser.

> Can you send me a copy of the PDF to try?

Certainly.
The one that looks good on screen but bad when printed is at:
http://www.ieatpaint.com/iText/screen.pdf
The one that looks bad on screen but good when printed is at:
http://www.ieatpaint.com/iText/printer.pdf

Both documents consist of a 50ish-row PdfPTable with a border of 1.
Again, as far as printing goes, 'good' and 'bad' simply indicate if they
have a 1 inch margin.

Cheers,
Matt