> If we wanted to go this way (i.e. use Log4J's Category API directly), Ceki
> has done this already -- he's got a "micro" JAR that is ~25k, for just
> this sort of purpose.

I know - I was just thinking it could be even smaller - just the Category
class with 1 or two others. (i.e. so it didn't do much really, just logged
to System.out and didn't need any configuration but was API compatible).

> To me personally, size is not big deal (I write server code for a living
> :-).  My issues are:
>
> * Tie-in to an API that might not be the developer's choice
>   (yes, you can write an Appender etc. but this is an *emotional*
>   issue, not a technical one).  I don't know how to address
>   this one any way other than what I proposed -- gracefully use
>   Log4J if it is there, and don't if it's not.

And so you avoid tie-in to log4j by creating tie-in to a new logging API?
That doesn't seem much of a win - creating yet another logging API.
If we have to pick an API, I'd rather it be a *very small* subset of a
popular near-standard then write yet another logging abstraction API.

> * Need to explicitly configure Log4J just to use DBCP or Digester
>   or whatever.  (This can be made a non-issue by having an included
>   Log4J that self-configures itself to System.out gracefully in the
>   absence of explicit configuration.

Like I said the commons-logger.jar could just log to System.out - no
configuration or anything fancy. If you want configuration and flashy stuff,
you swap commons-logger.jar with log4j.jar and away you go.

James