Peter,

This one is easy to debunk. The idea of mapped diagnostic context was
on the table for a long time. Please see:

Mail dated June 12, 2001:

http://www.mail-archive.com/log4j-user@jakarta.apache.org/msg01446.html

The idea was first exposed in a mail dated 24th of January, 2001.

http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=log4j-dev&m=98051571516266&w=2

These are no opinions, just facts. I hope you will admit that.

The reason why MDCs took so long to implement was conserving JDK 1.1
compatibility. Your release of LogKit with a similar feature,
it just emphasized how important this feature was. I quickly moved to implement
MDCs because I had been thinking about the problem for a long time
and Chris Taylor had just provided a patch for supporting
Thread.getContectClassLoader, a Java2-only feature. I followed up on his idea
to support ThreadLocals in MDC. Is that enough to convince of my good faith?

The same applies to supporting security. We did not make any
SecurityManager checks because of the need to preserve JDK 1.1
compatibility. When we move to an architecture where Logger is just an
interface with different underlying implementations, then we can make
security checks in one implementation and not the other.

Up until now, I don't think anyone in this forum attacked you in any
way Peter. Your claims about security, performance, reliability and so
on are totally unsubstantiated. That is just my opinion.

Regards, Ceki

ps: Charles Darwin in his seminal book "The Origin of Species" observed that
competition between similar species was the fiercest. I think we have an
example of that today.

--
Ceki Gülcü - http://qos.ch