Hi William,

> I do have a couple of 'Blink-the-CAN' ( couldn't resist the pun,
> sorry ) test programs that I was wanting to check in, I was thinking
> of putting them under 'test', but I see now that you'd prefer them in
> the 'sample' directory.  But I also see the 'project' directory.
> Hmmm.


Files in "test" aren't compilable on their own, they need to be processed in
order to generate a sample (basically, combination between device-specific
configuration -- stored in a board file --, and the actual test code). As a
start, I would directly put your samples into "sample". It there's a lot of
duplicated code (ie. same sample again and again, where the only different
is the PIC), then we'll migrate this under "test".

"project" contains specific code, which can be sample, but also application
code (samples are aimed to be simple, and are just here to show how to use
one specific lib. application code can be complex and use many different
kind of peripherals & parts, thus many different libs).


>
> Another question--  I want to start a 'higher-level' CAN protocol
> library.  I see the 'protocol' directory.  Presumably that would be
> the place for a 'canopen.jal' library?
>

Interestingly this "protocol" directory is empty. There are many protocols
already handled in jallib, like UART, I2C. But these are built-in in some
PICs. So they remain in "peripheral" directory, because a dedicated PIC
peripheral is able to handle this. What if the PIC can't do UART ? Well
you'd use "serial_software", instead of "serial_hardware". One would argue
that "serial_software" shouldn't go to "peripheral", but actually in this
"protocol" directory, but since there's sometime a peripheral, it shows the
user this is the software version of a hardware/built-in lib.

Now the question is: can CAN (can't resist the pun...) be handled by a
built-in peripheral ? I think so, but I'm not sure. So I'd say your CAN lib,
even it's a software implementation, should go to a "peripheral/can"
library.

"But what should go to "protocol" ?" I can hear... I was thinking about
one-wire dallas protocol lib for instance. Or this specific protocol
handling IR remote control. Or...

Keep in mind things aren't written in the marble, and SVN structure has been
modified many, many times...


Cheers,
Seb
--
Sébastien Lelong
http://www.sirloon.net
http://sirbot.org

--~--~---------~--~----~------------~-------~--~----~
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups 
"jallib" group.
To post to this group, send email to [email protected]
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to 
[email protected]
For more options, visit this group at 
http://groups.google.com/group/jallib?hl=en
-~----------~----~----~----~------~----~------~--~---

Reply via email to