Hi William,
I agree that the CANopen should be placed in the protocol directory and not 
in the periphiral directory
Albert


----- Original Message ----- 
From: "William" <[email protected]>
To: "jallib" <[email protected]>
Sent: Tuesday, August 25, 2009 9:27 PM
Subject: [jallib] Re: requesting SVN commit permission



Hi Seb,

Thanks for the insights.  But about CAN -- yes, and no.  CAN itself is
a low-level protocol, and you're right, some PIC18 chips have internal/
built-in controllers.  So, if you take a look, you'll see there is a
new 'can_legacy.jal' library in the peripherals/can directory.  But
also mcp2515.jal library in the 'external' directory.  Both of them
handle the same low-level CAN bus messages.

But CANopen, is a higher level protocol --  sort of like TCP or UDP is
higher than Ethernet itself...  My intention is that the canopen.jal
will operate with either the internal or external low-level can
library.

So, that is why I was thinking of putting into the 'protocol'
directory.  But you choose, or move it if I put it in the wrong place.

Thanks,

William


On Aug 25, 10:07am, Sebastien Lelong <[email protected]>
wrote:
> Hi William,
>
> > I do have a couple of 'Blink-the-CAN' ( couldn't resist the pun,
> > sorry ) test programs that I was wanting to check in, I was thinking
> > of putting them under 'test', but I see now that you'd prefer them in
> > the 'sample' directory. But I also see the 'project' directory.
> > Hmmm.
>
> Files in "test" aren't compilable on their own, they need to be processed 
> in
> order to generate a sample (basically, combination between device-specific
> configuration -- stored in a board file --, and the actual test code). As 
> a
> start, I would directly put your samples into "sample". It there's a lot 
> of
> duplicated code (ie. same sample again and again, where the only different
> is the PIC), then we'll migrate this under "test".
>
> "project" contains specific code, which can be sample, but also 
> application
> code (samples are aimed to be simple, and are just here to show how to use
> one specific lib. application code can be complex and use many different
> kind of peripherals & parts, thus many different libs).
>
>
>
> > Another question-- I want to start a 'higher-level' CAN protocol
> > library. I see the 'protocol' directory. Presumably that would be
> > the place for a 'canopen.jal' library?
>
> Interestingly this "protocol" directory is empty. There are many protocols
> already handled in jallib, like UART, I2C. But these are built-in in some
> PICs. So they remain in "peripheral" directory, because a dedicated PIC
> peripheral is able to handle this. What if the PIC can't do UART ? Well
> you'd use "serial_software", instead of "serial_hardware". One would argue
> that "serial_software" shouldn't go to "peripheral", but actually in this
> "protocol" directory, but since there's sometime a peripheral, it shows 
> the
> user this is the software version of a hardware/built-in lib.
>
> Now the question is: can CAN (can't resist the pun...) be handled by a
> built-in peripheral ? I think so, but I'm not sure. So I'd say your CAN 
> lib,
> even it's a software implementation, should go to a "peripheral/can"
> library.
>
> "But what should go to "protocol" ?" I can hear... I was thinking about
> one-wire dallas protocol lib for instance. Or this specific protocol
> handling IR remote control. Or...
>
> Keep in mind things aren't written in the marble, and SVN structure has 
> been
> modified many, many times...
>
> Cheers,
> Seb
> --
> Sbastien Lelonghttp://www.sirloon.nethttp://sirbot.org



--~--~---------~--~----~------------~-------~--~----~
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups 
"jallib" group.
To post to this group, send email to [email protected]
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to 
[email protected]
For more options, visit this group at 
http://groups.google.com/group/jallib?hl=en
-~----------~----~----~----~------~----~------~--~---

Reply via email to