I previously reported this problem, but I just downloaded 1.0b3
and the issue is still there (maybe I should have filed a bug
report).  There wasn't any further discussion on this issue.  See
below for some additional comments.

On Wed, 20 Jan 1999, Craig R. McClanahan wrote:

> Jason Gilbert wrote:

> > 3)  The JServConnection.encodeRedirectUrl doesn't quite do the
> > right thing.  It doesn't check to see if cookies were used so
> > even if cookies are used the sessionId gets included in the query
> > string.  maybe something like the following should be used
> > instead:
> >
> > if (url.indexOf(hostname) == 01) {
> >    return url;
> > }
> > return encodeUrl(url);
> >
> > or it at least needs to add a check for idCameAsCookie.
>
> It would be easy to add the check for idCameAsCookie, but I am wondering
> if the current behavior might be a deliberate workaround for a browser
> bug -- perhaps it won't return the cookie after a redirect, and your
> session would be lost?
> code longer than I have?

I don't see how this could be a browser bug.  Cookies being sent
to a url is controlled by the browser and if the redirect is back
to the same server it should be handled by a cookie.  So, if it's
going to include a session at all it should do the standard check
for a cookie.

This leads to another possible problem that I've noticed.
There's a bug listed (PR#3941) that somewhat addresses this as a
problem of cross-zone sessions.

My issue is this:  as far as I can tell the ServletManager for a
zone holds the sessions for that zone so a servlet running in a
different zone will not have access to sessions in another zone.
I personally don't have a problem with this.  However,  the path
for the session cookie is set to "/" by default.  I think the
path should probably be set to "/<zone-prefix>" instead so that a
browser can hold sessions for multiple zones on a single host?
Opinions?

jason

Jason Gilbert | http://www.scott.net/~jason/