--- Robert Engels <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I think you should port Lucene to MS-DOS...
>
> If your app can't move beyond MS-DOS, then you stick
> with version 1.9 (or
> 2.0 in this case).
>
> If you can't innovate and move forward, you die.
>
> Java has a GREAT history of supporting prior
> versions. At some point though
> you need to be able to move forward since developers
> may not be trained in
> the "legacy" environment.

While this is true, I thinks that comparisons of
Lucene to, say, MS-DOS are at best a knee-jerk
comments, or otherwise imply some lack of perspective
and common sense (probably former though).
Lucene has moved away from JDK 1.1 support, and at
this point 1.4 is probably the baseline. This has
happened over time, as platform has advanced. And it's
bit curious as to what the current mad rush regarding
migration is -- beyond the convenience and syntactic
sugar, only the concurrency package seems like a
tempting immediate reason?

Now, I think Doug had best points regarding inertia
that low-level libraries and components should
consider. Apps are first to move to newest versions;
top-level libraries then, and finally fundamental
components and engines. I would think Lucene falls
into this category: it has few dependencies of its
own, but has tons of downstream dependencies.

I don't know if this has suggested yet, but how about
switching to 1.5, when Sun declares 1.6 to be the
official stable JDK (ie. when it comes out of its beta
status)?

Anyway, it obviously comes down to the active
committers to decide the time/version for the cut-off.
But I hope it can be a practical decision made with
cool minds.

-+ Tatu +-