From: Ray Tsang [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Monday, June 19, 2006 11:06 AM
To: java-dev@lucene.apache.org
Subject: Re: Results (Re: Survey: Lucene and Java 1.4 vs. 1.5)

On 6/17/06, Chuck Williams <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Ray Tsang wrote on 06/17/2006 06:29 AM:
> > I think the problem right now isn't whether we are going to have 1.5
> > code or not.  We will eventually have to have 1.5 code anyways.  But
> > we need a sound plan that will make the transition easy.  I believe
> > the transition from 1.4 to 1.5  is not an over night thing.
>
> I disagree.  1.5 was specifically designed to make transition easy,
> including the inclusion of "non-features" that ensure smooth
> interoperability (e.g., raw types and no runtime presence whatsoever
> of generics -- quite different from how it was done in .Net 2.0 for
example).

But will 1.4 jvm be able to run the new Lucene w/ 1.5 core?

> > Secondly can we specifically find places where some people _will_
> > contribute code immediately if it's 1.5 is accepted?
>
> I already have.  That's what started this second round of debate.

What is it?  Who else?  How many?  Do we have statistics?  We have
statistics of number of users between 1.4 vs. 1.5 (which btw didn't present
a significant polarization), but how about actual numbers potential of
contributions between the 2?

> > Like what I have suggested before, why not have contribution modules
> > that act as a transition into 1.5 code?  Much like what other
> > framework has a "tiger" module.  This module may have say, a 1.5
> > compatible layer on top of 1.4 core, or other components of lucene
> > that was made to be extensible, e.g. 1.5 version of QueryParser,
> > Directory, etc.
>
> I think this would make it unnecessarily complex.

How is it unnecessary or complex?  If it only means layering, extending
classes, adding implementations, it should be relatively easy with the
existing design.  It's something we do everyday regardless what lucene's
direction takes.

> Chuck

Lastly,  how did the commercial application people who use Lucene in their
product respond?

ray,