Hi,

On Tue, Jul 7, 2009 at 4:05 PM, Yonik Seeley<yo...@lucidimagination.com> wrote:
> Regarding the software grant debate in
> IMO, it's pretty subjective what needs a software grant, and I don't
> think we should throw up any hard'n'fast rules about it.  The bottom
> line is that the PMC/committers are responsible for IP oversight for
> everything committed.

Agreed, the important thing is to ensure that we have the right to
publish and distribute the contributed code in our releases. That can
mean an existing license on the contribution, a reference to section 5
of ALv2, a CLA, a software grant, or whatever else that will hold up
under a license review.

There are few people who understand the potential licensing
complexities of code developed by a number of different contributors.
Does the submitter know that the work of the previous developers was
meant to be contributed to Apache? Where's the paper trail for that? A
software grant is a simple and easy way to cover an entire
contribution.

In this case, since all the work was apparently done within IBM (who'd
then be the copyright owner), anyone listed in the "Schedule A" of an
IBM CCLA could also contribute the code without needing an explicit
software grant.

BR,

Jukka Zitting