On Sat, Jul 11, 2009 at 2:48 PM, Grant Ingersoll<gsing...@apache.org> wrote:
> On Jul 11, 2009, at 9:18 AM, Yonik Seeley wrote:
>>> It's not hard to do a grant
>>
>> From the contributor side, it can be very, very, hard and can
>> potentially take a long time. The bigger the company, the harder it
>> can be.
>> Many may not pursue a contribution at all it if they thought one would
>> be required.
>> We shouldn't make contributions harder unless it's very necessary.
>
> When there is doubt as to the legality of the donation, then it isn't a
> question of harder or easier.  It's just a matter of doing it right.

*When* there is doubt as to the legality of the donation - sure...
that's always the case, even when we are dealing with smaller
contributions that don't warrant a grant.  No one was saying
otherwise.

But my argument from above remains valid - a software grant is not
always a trivial thing and can be very expensive or impossible.  We
shouldn't impose that unless we think it's really necessary.

> when it lives somewhere else in public or was developed by a company or
> several  individuals, it needs a grant.

-1

it *may* need a grant.

-Yonik